TEMA Heat Exchanger Designations | TEMA Rear head types
Part 3 of 3
This part provides a short summary onf the TEMA rear head types
– Used for low tube side pressure and fouling tube side fluid
– Used for high tube side pressure and relatively less fouling tube side fluid
– For toxic or hazardous fluids where intermixing of shell and tube side fluids is to be avoided.
– Outside packed floating head
– U-tube exchangers
– If frequent mechanical cleaning of tube side is needed then this type isn’t recommended. However if chemical cleaning is specified this type is good for such application.
– Good for high pressure applications
– Very common
– Recommended if mechanical cleaning of shell side is infrequent
– The assembly of tube sheets can move within the shell cover allowing it to absorb expansion of tubes
– Floating tube sheet between split ring and tube sheet cover.
– Pull through floating head
– Used for kettle reboilers
– Rear head doesn’t need disassembly if bundle need removal
– Would normally result in larger shell diameter for the same heat transfer surface.
– If frequent mechanical cleaning of shell side is needed then this type is recommended
Standards of Tubular Exchanger Manufacturers Association, 7th Edition, TEMA Incorporated, Tarry town, Newyork, 1978
The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.