Part 3 of 3
This part provides a short summary onf the TEMA rear head types
- Used for low tube side pressure and fouling tube side fluid
- Used for high tube side pressure and relatively less fouling tube side fluid
- For toxic or hazardous fluids where intermixing of shell and tube side fluids is to be avoided.
- Outside packed floating head
- U-tube exchangers
- If frequent mechanical cleaning of tube side is needed then this type isn’t recommended. However if chemical cleaning is specified this type is good for such application.
- Good for high pressure applications
- Very common
- Recommended if mechanical cleaning of shell side is infrequent
- The assembly of tube sheets can move within the shell cover allowing it to absorb expansion of tubes
- Floating tube sheet between split ring and tube sheet cover.
- Pull through floating head
- Used for kettle reboilers
- Rear head doesn’t need disassembly if bundle need removal
- Would normally result in larger shell diameter for the same heat transfer surface.
- If frequent mechanical cleaning of shell side is needed then this type is recommended
Standards of Tubular Exchanger Manufacturers Association, 7th Edition, TEMA Incorporated, Tarry town, Newyork, 1978