What is a heat exchanger?
A device to exchange the thermal energy between two or more fluids at different temperatures. In simple terms; if you want to use a hot fluid to heat up a colder one you can use a heat exchanger to do the job.
Heat exchangers are used in a variety of applications in industry;
- Chemical, Process and Food
- Power production
- Environmental engineering
- Manufacturing and Production
- Waste heat recovery
- Air conditioning and refrigeration applications
- Space applications
- Motor industry – covered under manufacturing.
Of course the list goes on, but this is a small portion of what we use heat exchangers in. In fact our human body is a heat exchanger as it regulates its temperature keeping our body temperature warm.
Classification of heat exchangers according to construction
See the diagram below: